Thursday, July 11, 2013

Communication

Hello Coaches,

Frequently I will plan to post here thoughts, insight, and perspective about a variety of things, hopefully for you to think about and possibly benefit.  Myself, I am a sponge for learning as I am always open to ideas, thoughts, and observation to learn and develop, none is more true that that when I am wearing my coaching hat.  Much of the philosophies that I have developed over the years have been from observations, reading, videos, and conversations with fellow coaches, but I use these as tools in which I tweak and modify to use with my players and my professional development.  I hope that you think of the posts contained here on this blog as information and tools, from which you can elect to use or learn and apply to your coaching.

As the start of the new season is on the horizon, I wanted to address with you some thoughts about communication.  Being a good communicator as a coach is of paramount importance, whether it be how you teach and coach players, engage with referees, address fellow coaches, or interface with parents.  I tend to be an over communicator with my team parents as I have found that informed parents are content parents.  I usually will send out an email to my teams every other week during the season to address concepts and focus of training, problems I may be having, as well as successes that I may be experiencing.  I do this in part, especially with younger ages so as the ideas that I am focusing on can be readily apparent and visible to the parents during the games.  For example, I do not allow my U10-12 goalkeeper punt the ball, ever, as I want to develop players that can make soccer decisions and play out of the back.  I make sure that I communicate this style and philosophy to my team in advance, partly so they know I am focusing on this aspect of player development, but also so that parents know why I do not punt the ball.  Some parents may be unfamiliar with the game, so by me expressing my coaching philosophy, they know the reason why and the benefit not to punt the ball.

Good team communication is also vital in other areas that may not be readily apparent, especially for a new or inexperienced coach.  Players and parents are going to emulate the coach, and this is especially true in the way he or she communicates.  Far too often I will observe a coach or group of coaches on the sideline that are of of their minds screaming and yelling.  What often accompanies this are kids and parents which do the exact same things.  Teams that have coaches yell and berate referees, will also have issues with parents and sometimes players that do the same.  Please be mindful of the communication style you readily use as your players and parents will follow suit.

Just some thoughts, more to come.

Bryan Farnsworth
Director of Coaching Education and Player Development

No comments:

Post a Comment