Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Hello Coaches,

I started this blog as a means to reach out to the CASL coaches and provide a forum for which I can relay information, thoughts, and ideas.  This log will be a dynamic one that will be continually updated  weekly throughout the season.  Being on the preseason, with the start of training for most teams a few weeks away, I wanted to start this communication with a question.

If I were to ask, how would you answer : What is your coaching philosophy? 

I realize that there may be many new or novice coaches, alike we have many veteran coaches. Whether you are a new, novice coach or a veteran coach, you should be able to answer this question.

A coaching philosophy is central to define how you want your team to play in games, which in turn defines what you need to do to prepare these players in training.  For example, if I want my team to attack on the wings, I better focus on developing wingers, crossing, and finishing.  If I elect that I want to focus my team on possession and build up play, I need to ensure that I focus my development in those areas.  I recommend that coaches think about the end goal first, and work backwards to define and formulate a plan.

There are a number of different coaching philosophies and components of coaching philosophies.  Therefore, with this time in advanced of training think about some of the following and what is important.  Factors to consider:

  • How do you measure success?  Wins? Players developing? Player passion for soccer? Fun?
  • Are you a coach that wants to develop players?  Win at all costs?
  • Are you a players coach? More authoritative?  What is the best approach for your age of players and the program level that they currently play?
  • Do you want to develop the individual player? Or focus on the team?
  • Do you want an attacking-focused team or defensive?

Take some time and put in some thought before you step out onto the soccer field with your players and have a plan.  Know what you are going to do with your players before you do it. 

My recommendations for all coaches are that before you step onto the soccer field, you need to have passion, energy, enthusiasm, and structured preparation for your players. 

Bryan Farnsworth
Director of Recreation and Challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment